Sunday, February 24, 2013

What about blended learning?

I have been reading quite a bit about the concept of blended learning recently, and have to admit I am a definite fan.  My own children have been doing blended learning for the past few years, starting in 1st grade with a program called Xtra Math.  My kids love this site, and I do, too!  The teachers supplement the work they do in school with a constructed curriculum of after-school activity (homework to those old-school types) that really excites the kids.  I never thought I would see them that happy to do homework!

Another that starts in 1st grade for this district is SpellingCity.com, where they not only have assigned work, but are encouraged to go out on their own and try creating their own lists of words.  Again, the kids love it.

All of this is aside from any project work they do in school, some of which pertains to online software such as Prezi and Glogster.  Blended learning, indeed!  On the above-mentioned site, the authors predict that by next year, 50% of secondary school students will have taken a class online, and that by 2019, 50% of their learning will BE online.

I don't know about you, but I think it is happening faster than that.  What do you think?  Fan or foe?

2 comments:

  1. Given that we are 21st century educators, it only seems to make sense that we would take advantage of our access to the Internet and Web 2.0 applications. This can only seek to enhance learning! I checked out the first website you linked to on Blended Learning, and found the explanations to be very helpful. Differentiation is the name of the game, so I would imagine that the additional sites you listed provide exercises that are well suited for students of varied skill levels. I'd also presume that these exercises serve as a meaningful formative measure for teachers, who likely have capabilities to access students' accounts and monitor progress. Thanks for sharing, Brian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post Brian! I was just looking at a post about vocabulary sites but in exploring them I found that they were mostly geared to secondary students. I haven't found many elementary vocabulary sites and Spellingcity.com looks great! I am looking forward to sharing this with my colleagues. Do you kids have access to the premium activities? What are they like?

    ReplyDelete