Sunday, February 10, 2013

Let THEM Come to YOU!

As the parent of three rather busy and precocious elementary school students, I am always in the market for something that is efficient.  Enter the world of RSS.  It reminds me of Peapod, the service Stop & Shop uses to get groceries to busy families so they don't have to brave the lines.

It really is very simple (actually, Really Simple Syndication), and most important, a massive time-saver.  One thing, however:  you have to decide how you want to set up, otherwise you will get too much info, which is what RSS is designed to avoid.  I remember a Chinese restaurant in Washington DC (where I went for undergrad) whose menu was 20 pages long.  It was very hard to make a decision!  RSS can be like this if you aren't careful, so learn how to make it work.

Perhaps equally important, the RSS function can help you as a blogger.  Most who blog want to be read, and there are tricks to help it happen.

Once I started, I was hooked.  How about you?

1 comment:

  1. My sentiments exactly, Brian! First off, I'm really liking the "voice" you've established through your writing -- a blogging expert already! Your posts are enjoyable to read, easy-to-understand, and certainly written for an audience.

    With respect to RSS, I am REALLY liking it. Your Peapod analogy is brilliant :) I, too, think it's easy to get bogged down by a mounting pile of articles in GoogleReader, so my best advice is to pick a few blogs and/or media outlets to stick with them for a while. I'm all about promoting simplicity, so if I can eliminate any excess emails/daily clutter, I'm all for it!

    ReplyDelete