Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My First Digital Story


Well, let the fanfare begin!  I have created (and I use the term loosely) a digital story about the life of Harriet Tubman.  My vehicle of choice for this venture is Microsoft's Photo Story 3.  I must admit, I am not the greatest fan of this software, mainly because it doesn't offer enough in the way of variables when creating a mix of image, text and audio.  Listen carefully to this VERY ROUGH DRAFT and you will see what I mean!


I have my work cut out for me in order to separate the wheat from the chaff, but the basics are here and I believe it will be an effective tool for use with 4th-5th grade students.  Tell me what you think.  Remember:  it is always better to follow the Golden Rule! (Be nice).

5 comments:

  1. Brian, I keep getting an error message when I try to view the video. Not sure if it has something to do with YouTube...would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't quite figure out what went wrong with this. Now the final copy is done, so just look at that instead!
      Brian

      Delete
  2. I got an error message when I tried to view your digital story but, quite possibly, I am doing something wrong. As a social studies teacher I am eager to see your production and am always happy when teachers choose history/civics topics as I think this gets overlooked at times in the lower grades. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been a history/social studies fan ever since grade school, so this project was very interesting to me. The final one is up now (this version never did seem to work), so take a look and let me know what you think.

      Delete
  3. Brian - I had the same problem with Windows MovieMaker. It was very limited in its options to combine images & audio. I wanted both music and narration, but it only allowed one layer of audio. I ended up using Audacity - a free software that you can download and use to create multiple tracks layered over one another, then save it as one audio file and import it into whatever program you're using for the digital story. I will warn you, it's not the easiest program to use (there was lots of yelling at the computer) but I was able to figure out the basics eventually.

    ReplyDelete