Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Wiki as a Collaborative, Constructivist Tool

Well, another day's reading, writing and interacting with others is behind me and I find myself with time to comment on Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts by Will Richardson.  Wait!  Did I just say reading, writing and interacting with others?  Isn't that what working on a wiki is all about?  Certainly, the wiki can be seen as perhaps the greatest interactive project that the world has ever witnessed, a vast city of information that never stops growing, and I don't believe that is simple hyperbole.

Wait again!  Isn't constructivist learning a collaborative effort at discovery engendered by groups of people who read, write and interact with one another?  Well, I'll be...

Mr. Richardson suggests that we as educators should embrace the wiki concept for several reasons, not the least of which is the inability to prevent our students from using a wiki as a reference source.  Yet, if we are honest with ourselves, and those of us who are parents can divorce our reactive selves (I can't let MY kid do that!) from the calmer, more logical aspect of our personalities (best of luck on that one, parents), we can see the true constructivist nature of such collaboration as that found in a wiki project.  I myself have vetted much information found on wikipedia.org and consider the vast majority of it veridical and worthy of use.  Have you 'bellied up to the bar' and given it a try?  Do you let the voices of other commentators restrict you from making a personal journey?  I have one small bit of friendly advice:  embrace change!

1 comment:

  1. If Steve Jobs, the CEO of Apple, claimed that Wikipedia is one the most accurate encyclopedias in the world (59), then I say go for it...teachers shouldn't "ban" students from referring to the site, but they should allow their students to reference the site more than they do. With so many points of view contributing to individual wikis, students are bound to get a greater idea for the subject matter.

    ReplyDelete